Curriculum Leader: R. Rhodes
A-Level Computer Science is an ideal route for learners looking for a traditional academic pathway. The course will give learners the programming skills, theoretical knowledge and problem solving ability to tackle a variety of computer science problems to help move them into a rewarding career in the computer science industry. The course will give learners skills in computer programming, mobile app development, object orientated programming, hardware & networking, data representation, problem solving, systems life cycle development and many other interesting areas. The majority of your work will be assessed by external examinations, mostly written with some on screen programming elements. However one unit will require an internally assessed project to be designed and created. This course will prepare you for a bright future in the computer science Industry.
Students sit two exams at the end of year 13. Each lasts for two hours thirty minutes and, combined, they will represent 80% of the marks awarded for the qualification. The remaining 20%
comes from an internally assessed individual project (course work).
5 GCSE at grade 5 or above. Students must have achieved grade 6 or above in Maths and a 5 in English. A Grade 7 in Computer Science if studied at GCSE.
WHY STUDY computer science?
Computer Science gives you a sound understanding of compu ng theory and develops students’ programming and logical thinking skills, plus, it enhances analy cal and problem solving skills, helping students to solve and overcome problems logically and efficiently.
There is no financial outlay as all materials are provided by the ICT department.
There is optional expense of a Trip to the Business & ICT Live Conference in Paris at a cost of £300.
The Academy will not charge for books, materials, equipment and instruction in connection with the National Curriculum or Statutory Religious Education taught at school, except where parents have indicated in advance their wish to purchase the product.
Exam Charging Policy:
– Students with less than 85% attendance may, under the discretion of the Sixth Form Office, be asked to pay for their exam entry.
– Exam resits that are made at the request of the post 16 students will be charged at full price.
– When it is not possible to obtain a refund, full price will be charged to students for:
– the Summer Exam entry, if they withdraw from the subject after 20 April.
– non-attendance at an exam without good reason.
This Computer Science course has been designed for students who wish to go on to higher education courses or employment within the computing industry. It is widely recognised as a respected qualification by a wide range of universities and employers. Students can go on to study and start a career in; computer programming, artificial intelligence, security, networking, software and hardware management and many other areas. Student will gain the skills and knowledge needed to allow them to design and write their own programs and application software.
This is our academic ICT qualification which is suitable for those seeking to take a University course. Students who are following a vocational pathway may find it more suitable to take our BTEC ICT qualification which does cover some of the aspects taught on this A level.